Human Rights Watch called on Kuwait to agree to greater protection for migrant workers as a Philippine delegation was due in the emirate Thursday to discuss an outcry over alleged abuses of Filipinos.
But the New York-based watchdog also condemned a ban imposed by the Philippines last week on migrants leaving to work in Kuwait, stating it was likely to hike the number resorting to unregulated channels that exposed them to a larger risk of abuse.
President Rodrigo Duterte imposed the ban in reply to the murder of a Filipina maid whose body was found packed in a freezer in Kuwait earlier this month.
He activated a diplomatic row with Kuwait by alleging that Arab employers routinely raped their Filipina workers, forced them to work 21 hours a day and fed them scraps.
“Kuwait should confront the outcry over deaths, beatings and rapes of domestic workers by taking immediate steps to reform the kafala system, which traps workers with abusive employers,” HRW’s Middle East women’s rights researcher Rothna Begum mentioned in a statement late Wednesday.
The kafala or sponsorship system, broadly prevalent in the oil-rich Gulf states, ties migrant workers’ visas to their employers, forbidding workers from leaving or changing jobs without prior consent.
Begum stated, “The Philippines should work with Kuwait to protect workers rather than ban them from migrating, which is more likely to cause harm than to help.”
she also mentioned, “Both Kuwait and the Philippines have an opportunity to work together to increase protections for domestic workers and fix the gaps that are leaving workers vulnerable to extreme abuse.”
Kuwait has stated that it is investigating reported deaths and abuses, and insisted there were only a small number considering that there are more than 250,000 Filipinos working in Kuwait.
It has invited Duterte to visit the emirate but he has not yet responded.
The Philippine delegation due in Kuwait later on Thursday is headed by Labour Undersecretary Ciriaco Lagunzad.
It is due to travel on to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, two other Gulf states with large Philippine migrant workforces.
In all, there are more than two million Filipinos working in the region, whose remittances are a lifeline to the Philippine economy.
Lagunzad said Duterte had commanded the delegation to ensure that the passports of Filipino workers are deposited with the Philippine embassy.
Duterte also wants Filipinos to have access to mobile phones so they can call for assistance in case of abuse, Lagunzad mentioned.
more recommended stories
Google launches new Arabic feature for Gulf job-seekers
Google has announced the launch of.
MidEast carriers see sharp fall in July passenger demand growth
Passenger demand growth registered by Middle.
Arab world must accelerate reforms, says World Economic Forum
The Arab world must accelerate progress.
UAE mobile phone sales market slumps in Q2
The GCC mobile phone market experienced.