The country’s second-largest telecommunications operator, Saudi Arabia’s Etihad Etisalat (Mobily) reported a broaden quarterly loss on Thursday, partly blaming it on the introduction of internet calls and a decline in its customer base.
Net losses more than doubled to 181.7 million riyal ($48.45 million) in the three months till December 31 from a loss of 70.2 million riyals last year, it mentioned in a statement to the Saudi bourse. Revenue fell 2.8 percent to 2.83 billion riyals.
The results were in line with estimates from SICO Bahrain and NCB Capital. Mobily linked its broaden loss to the decline in revenue, effected by a drop in the number of customers which it stated was happening across the sector. It did not say how many customers it had lost in the period.
Mobily also told that the unblocking of most VoIP applications had effected revenue. Saudi Arabia lifted in September 2017 a ban on online voice and video call services such as Microsoft’s Skype and Facebook’s WhatsApp.
Mobily, an affiliate of the United Arab Emirates’ Etisalat , competes with Saudi Telecom (STC) and Zain Saudi.
more recommended stories
ADNOC appoints Goldman Sachs Group and HSBC Holdings to advise on $20billion unit sale
ADNOC is considering a possible sale.
Founder of Hotmail, Sabeer Bhatia says business model of Cryptocurrencies is fraud
Sabeer Bhatia who is the founder.
Dubai Corporation for Ambulance Services (DCAS) has evolved the Immediate Response project
Dubai Corporation for Ambulance Services (DCAS).
Dubai Properties has revealed the Middle East’s greatest living green wall at Dubai Wharf
Dubai Properties has revealed the Middle.